Diet is the base for training, as the diet you consume will provide you energy throught the day, also to maintain your shape of body and it also plays a important role in achieving your dream physique. The ratio of diet to workout is 7:3. That means the role of diet is 70 % in achieving your dreamed physique and the rest 30% is done by the workout. Organizing your meal is a important task, as your whole health will depend on what you eat. Proper organized meals are essential for athletes as well as for a individual who’s activity is on moderate level. Generally, while planning the meals for the day a person should focus on the macronutrients of the meal. Before starting one thing to keep in mind is that you should not follow the diet plan of some other person and expect the same results, as there is a difference in the body of yours and that of the person whose diet plan you are following.
What are macro nutrients?
- Carbohydrates- carbohydrates are also known as carbs in the fitness industry. The energy that our body requires to function properly and during the workout is provided by carbohydrates from out meal. Health source of carbs not only gives us carbs but also provides vitamins and essential fibre to the body. Oats are recommended by experts not only to athletes but also to the individual with a 9 to 5 job. As oats are slow digestive carbs , they provide us the energy throughout the day without feeling dizzy. Carbohydrates are essential part of the breakfast [ to make you feel energetic the whole day] , pre workout meal [ to provide you energy while your training session] and also in the post workout meal and dinner.
- Protein- the body of a person with low level of physical activity requires 1-1.2 gram of protein per kilogram of his/her body weight. A person should be able to calculate his protein daily intake and he should plan his/her meal accordingly to the protein daily intake so that the requirement of protein is completed. To calculate the daily protein intake for the athlete, the body requires 1.8-2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Protein is the fuel for our muscles. This macro nutrient helps in repairing of the muscles after their breakdown while the training, protein also helps in growing the muscles of the body. Fitness experts makes changes only in the macro nutrients during their bulk or cut phase. If a person weighs around 60 kgs and the goal of the person is to gain muscle then he should consume approximately 120 grams of protein per day.
- Fats- while planning the diet meal , one should not ignore to involving healthy fats in their diet. The right proportion of the healthy [ monosaturated] fats wont make you gain unhealthy weight. Fats are required to digest our meal, they provide nutrients to our hair, brain cells and also contribute to healthy skin. 1 gram of fat gives us 9 calories. A person can include nuts in his/her diet as they are healthy fats.
Gaining weight , gaining muscle mass or losing fat entirely depends upon the nutrients in the diet. A person can easily gain or loose muscle mass by making small changes in their diet. Below we will understand how to calculate your daily required macros for your body.
- Calculating your macros. For calculating the macros first the person should know his daily calorie intake. For instance a person requires 2000 calories per day and he weighs around 60 kgs. To calculate protein requirement for this particular person multiply the body weight of person by 2 , that will give you his/her daily protein requirement in grams [ 60x2= 120 grams of protein]. 1 gram of protein has 4 calories, that means the calories from 120 grams of protein is 480 kcal [ 120x4= 480] .
To calculate the daily fat intake of the person multiply the protein requirement of the person by 0.4 [ 120x0.4= 48 grams of fats] you will get the fat requirement of body in grams. 1 gram of fat has 9 calories. A person gains 432 calories form fats [ 48x9= 432].
Now that we know the calories from fat and protein we can easily calculate the daily carbohydrate intake for a person, by simply adding the calories from fat and protein and later subtracting it from the total daily calories we will get the calories received from carbohydrates. [432+480= 922, 2000-932= 1078 calories] . by dividing the calories from 4 we will get the carbohydrates intake in grams. As 1 gram of carbs provides us 4 calories. [ 1078/ 4= 269.2 , 270 grams of carbohydrates approximately ]. By this method we can calculate the daily macro required by our body.
Note; This is not the exact method to calculate the macros, but it can be used to calculate the approximate values of our macr nutrients for our diet.